Friday, February 1, 2008

Down To 2

So the Democratic candidates are down to just two. I have to say I was a bit surprised John Edwards didn't hang in there through Super Tuesday. The upside of him dropping out is that Hillary and Barack are more focused on establishing stronger stances on the issues rather than attacking each other.

I have to say previously I wasn't real confident in Obama because it seemed like all the sound bites I was hearing were his standards or attacks on Hillary. After watching some of the debate last night I feel much more positive about him since I got a clearer picture of his issues and ideas for change. However, I'm still a Hillary supporter. Some of that is because I know the influence she had on her husbands Presidency so I know that with a lot of the same views there's a lot of good she can bring about. Some of it is also that I am a woman and I feel there's a lot of things (espeically in health care) that are overlooked for woman. I feel in those area's Hillary can greatly impact for the better the future for the woman of this country both yound and old.

That doesn't mean that I think Barack wouldn't advance certain things for woman I just think Hillary would fight harder for it. And at the sametime there are things that Barack would probably fight harder for. That's just how it is with politics. Who you are and where you come from will always influence the level you will fight at for different things.

Whether it's a Clinton/Obama ticket or Obama/Clinton ticket I still think the Democrats offer the best chance for real change. This is because you're getting a vastly different view than what the Republicans offer. All the Republicans ever have to offer are older rich white men. We are most likely going to over a ticket of a woman and a racial minority. Yes she is an older woman but, a woman none the less.

I think if America is serious about change they have to look at the difference in the views automatically brought to the table by the Democratic ticket. A Republican ticket that will be made up of people who clearly have no desire to break from the Bush Administration policies will only bring about more hardship for this country and it's citizens. Perhaps what they have to offer will become more clear when it gets down to just two candidates for them and it certainly will become more clear once the candidate is chosen. However, I don't really see them offering any real change or anything that will actually help fix things in America.

No comments: